Portumna Castle & Gardens
This semi-fortified house at Portumna was built before 1618 by Richard Burke or de Burgo, 4th Earl of Clanricarde. It was the main seat of the de Burgo family for over 200 years, until it was gutted by fire in 1826.
The ground floor of the house is now open to the public and contains information panels and a dvd presentation.
To the north of the house are formal geometrically laid out gardens. The recently restored 17th century walled kitchen garden, organically planted with fruit trees, flowers, herbs and vegetables, is a treat to the senses.
Opening Times: April - End of Sept 10am - 6pm. Last Admission at 5:15pm.
Here's what folks on Trip Advisor had to say about Portumna Forest Park.
“Very well presented”
“Unlike the other Castles we visited.”
“Lovely day spent here (as part of Heritage Week)”
“Worth a visit”
Phone: 090 9741658 Web: www.heritageireland.ie Email: firstname.lastname@example.org